The New Taiwan dollar dropped nearly three-quarters of a percent against the greenback yesterday after the central bank showed its determination to prevent speculative attacks on the local currency, dealers said.
Declining for a second consecutive day after hitting a more than 10-year intraday high on Wednesday, the NT dollar closed NT$0.222 lower at NT$30.402 versus the US dollar on the Taipei Forex Inc. Turnover was US$1.845 billion, down from US$2.001 billion in the previous session.
Yesterday's 0.74-percent drop on the value of the NT dollar was the biggest since June 8, 2006, the foreign exchange's tallies showed.
To curb currency speculation, the central bank announced on Thursday that it would lower the reserve requirement ratio for foreign currency deposits to 0.125 percent, from 5 percent, effective on Tuesday.
At a press briefing following its quarterly board meeting on Thursday, the central bank warned of punitive measures against foreign funds that speculate on the local currency's rise.
``The market, of course, has heeded the central bank's latest message,'' a local currency trader, who requested anonymity, said by telephone yesterday.
"In addition to central bank intervention and US dollar purchases by insurance companies, there was some short-covering of US dollar non-deliverable forward contracts and repatriation of profits by foreign investors, which all helped drive the NT dollar lower," the dealer said.
Foreign institutional investors sold a net NT$9.11 billion in local shares yesterday. For the week, they purchased a net NT$43.09 billion, Taiwan Stock Exchange data showed, on speculation that president-elect Ma Ying-jeou (
Despite the recent pullback, the NT dollar will likely continue to appreciate in the long term thanks to the subprime mortgage crisis in the US and foreign capital inflows in anticipation of improved cross-strait relations, the dealer said.
But the local currency's appreciation pace may slow, judging from the close of offshore NT dollar/US dollar non-deliverable forward trading contracts yesterday, as the one-month discount narrowed to NT$0.090 from NT$0.180 in the previous session.
"Next week, the NT dollar is likely to trade between NT$30.0 and NT$30.5," he said.
Another local bank dealer, however, said the nation's economic fundamentals were not in good shape despite optimism after the election. Therefore, he sees no point to be that bullish on the NT dollar like other foreign currency traders.
"The market needs to pay extra attention on the hawkish stance adopted by central bank Governor Perng Fai-nan (
"Perng has been at his post for almost a decade and he is known for his tight grip on the foreign exchange rate," th dealer said.
So far this year, the NT dollar has gained 6.3 percent against the greenback. In comparison, the central bank has only allowed the local currency to appreciate by 6.68 percent in the last two years as it must take into account the competitiveness of Taiwanese exporters.
The central bank has been under exporters' pressure as the recent NT dollar appreciation has raised concerns about the forex losses of local high-tech companies when these firms release their first-quarter financial reports beginning next week, the dealer said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his