China, the world's largest buyer of iron ore, blocked BHP Billiton Ltd and Rio Tinto Group from selling the raw material on the spot market to press them to settle contract prices, research company CBI China Co said.
The China Iron & Steel Association (
Rio and BHP are locked in talks to settle annual contract prices with Chinese steelmakers, as Rio sought to get more than the 71 percent price gain won by rival Cia Vale do Rio Doce.
The Chinese government two years ago imposed price caps on imports in an unsuccessful attempt to limit increases.
"It shows the resentment of the Chinese mills toward BHP and Rio for selling more iron ore on spot market, instead of concluding a contract as in the past," said Helen Lau, a Shanghai-based analyst at Daiwa Securities Group Inc.
Rio, based in London, sold iron ore on the spot market at as much as US$190 a tonne in December, more than twice the equivalent of US$85 a tonne it sold under contract, it said then.
It plans to triple iron ore sales in the cash market to 15 million tonnes a year, up from 4.5 million tonnes last year.
Around 15 percent of BHP and Rio's ore sales to China have been sold on the spot market in past years, Du said.
Qi Xiangdong (
Officials at the China Chamber of Commerce of Metals, Minerals & Chemicals Importers and Exporters were not available for comment. BHP spokeswoman Samantha Evans declined to comment.
"Our position is we are still involved in pricing discussions," Gervase Greene, Rio spokesman, said by telephone from Perth. "We have said we expected to sell up to 15 million tonnes on the spot market this year and that hasn't changed."
Iron ore sales from smaller companies in Australia have not been blocked, Michael Kiernan, chairman of the Perth-based producer Territory Resources Ltd, said yesterday.
"It's a move aimed to press miners back to contracted iron-ore price talks and to gain a foothold," Du said. "China doesn't like spot sales because the spot prices are more volatile and potentially more upside risky."
Rio has been pressing Chinese steelmakers to accept a freight premium to reflect the lower cost of shipping ore to Asia from Australia than Brazil, where Vale is based. Chinese steelmakers have rejected the demand, Anshan Iron & Steel Group (
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his