Russian gas giant Gazprom said on Friday it would cut its supplies to ex-Soviet neighbor Ukraine by 25 percent from tomorrow in the latest twist to a long-running dispute over debt payments.
The decision was taken after two days of talks between the two countries ended in failure, Gazprom spokesman Sergei Kupriyanov said in a statement.
"Considering that the situation has reached a dead end, to guarantee its own economic interests, Gazprom will reduce its gas supplies to Ukrainian consumers by 25 percent on March 3 at 10am [7am GMT]," Kupriyanov said.
The European Commission and Gazprom's European partners, which receive a large part of their supplies though Ukraine's pipelines from Russia, have been informed of the situation, he added.
Kupriyanov later told the Interfax news agency that Gazprom was ready to continue talks with Naftogaz Ukraine, but was unsure if the Ukrainian side would agree to negotiate.
The dispute is over 1.9 billion cubic meters of gas deliveries worth about US$600 million that Ukraine has not paid, Kupriyanov said.
Although Ukraine claims to have settled its debts for last year, disagreements remain over a debt Moscow claims Ukraine accumulated in recent months when Russia used its own gas to make up for a shortfall in less expensive Central Asian gas.
Russian natural gas accounts for around a quarter of Ukraine's gas imports, with the rest coming from former Soviet republics in Central Asia via pipelines that go through Russia.
In Friday's statement, Kupriyanov complained that the "informal use of gas is continuing this year." Gazprom earlier complained that no documents had been signed for the gas provided to replace the Central Asian shortfall.
Kupriyanov also complained that Ukraine had failed to sign new deal to coordinate the two countries' gas relations.
Earlier this month, Russian President Vladimir Putin and his Ukrainian counterpart Viktor Yushchenko brokered an accord which had appeared to end the payment dispute. Under the deal, Moscow agreed to a Ukrainian demand to replace two controversial intermediary gas trading companies with a more transparent firm.
Changes to the murky system of intermediaries by which Ukraine pays for gas imported from Russia and Central Asia had been a key demand by Ukrainian Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko.
The dispute echoes a price row that led to a brief cut-off of Russian gas to Ukraine in 2006, which led to supply shortages in the EU.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his