Wall Street heads into the Christmas week on a merry note with fears abating about a widening financial crisis and a potential recession in the world's biggest economy.
Despite persistent worries about a credit squeeze that could choke off economic growth, the main stock indexes posted healthy gains in the week before Christmas.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average climbed 0.85 percent for the week to Friday to 13,450.65 and the broad market Standard & Poor's 500 advanced 1.1 percent to 1,484.46.
The technology-heavy NASDAQ composite rallied 2.1 percent to 2,691.99.
With three full trading sessions left for this year and shortened trading days tomorrow and on Dec. 31, the Dow is holding a gain for the year of 7.9 percent, with the S&P up 4.7 percent and NASDAQ 11.5 percent.
Some analysts say the market could build on those gains around the holidays in the so-called Santa Claus rally effect.
"It has been observed by the Stock Trader's Almanac that the period covering the last five trading days of a year and the first two trading days of the new year often produces a respectable rally," Jeffrey Ham at Briefing.com said.
Volatile trading in the past few months has been marked by worries that the crises that began with a meltdown in housing and spread to the banking and finance sector would drag the overall economy lower.
But data in recent days suggests US consumer spending, which accounts for two-thirds of economic activity, is holding firm. That along with rising exports may keep the US economy above water, some analysts say. One report showed consumer spending up a solid 1.1 percent last month.
"December data should confirm that the US isn't in recession, or at least wasn't as of the fourth quarter," said Avery Shenfeld, senior economist at CIBC World Markets.
"Look for the tone for much of the coming month to be set by the employment data, given that job growth is now the key bulwark against recession," Shenfeld said.
Citigroup economist Robert DiClemente said recession talk is still prominent but that a downturn may be averted if the US Federal Reserve plays its cards right after cutting rates by a full percentage point since September.
"There are reasons to be optimistic that the economy will muddle through this mess with continued help from policy," he said.
"We expect the Fed to continue cutting rates by at least 75 basis points in coming months and that these actions will provide a measure of financial stability sufficient to quarantine the remaining drag from housing and its spillover."
Sherry Cooper, chief economist at BMO Capital Markets, is more worried, saying that credit is drying up in the banking system and that central banks such as the Fed have done too little too late, leaving the US and other economies at risk.
"The US housing collapse has already frozen financial markets and raised the cost of capital for all but triple-A rated governments, generating enormous losses at financial institutions of all sorts," she said.
"My sense is the prospects of US recession are rising fast and the next pipedream to burst will be the theoretical decoupling of the emerging economies from troubles in the US economy."
Bond prices rose in the week. The yield on the 10-year Treasury bond eased to 4.168 percent from 4.232 percent a week earlier, and that on the 30-year Treasury fell to 4.575 percent from 4.658 percent. Bond prices and yields move in opposite directions.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his