Financially strapped Cosmos Bank (萬泰銀行) said yesterday it had signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) to sell a controlling interest to the US hedge-fund group, SAC Private Capital Group LLC, for US$650 million in new preferential shares and convertible bonds to improve its financial structure.
Taipei-based Cosmos also inked an MOU with GE Money, which agreed to raise its 10 percent stake by buying more new common shares and corporate bonds for US$250 million, a statement released by Cosmos showed.
Together, SAC and GE Money would hold approximately 80 percent of the fully diluted interest in Cosmos Bank upon completion of the deal, Cosmos said.
The two groups would buy those shares and bonds at NT$2 per share, representing a discount of about 63 percent to Cosmos' closing price of NT$5.47 on the Taiwan Stock Exchange yesterday, the Financial Supervisory Commission (FSC) said at a press briefing.
"We welcome the deal and understand the efforts made by Cosmos to improve its financial situation by issuing new shares," FSC spokeswoman Susan Chang (張秀蓮) said.
Chang said the financial regulator hoped Cosmos would sign definitive agreements with SAC and GE within one month to inject much-needed capital into the bank.
After the deal, SAC would hold more than 50 percent of Cosmos' shareholding, she said.
"This is an important step for the future of the bank. With SAC and GE Money managing Cosmos' future together, I expect Cosmos to build on their strengths and obtain new skills while leveraging its existing consumer base," Cosmos chairman Hsui Sheng-fa (
Cosmos, the nation's largest cash card issuer, has accumulated more than NT$20 billion (US$606.2 million) in losses mostly stemming from credit card loan losses, FSC data showed. Cosmos has NT$13.77 billion in capital.
The proposed injection of fresh funds is expected to be completed in the fourth quarter of this year and is subject to execution of definitive agreements and conditions therein, including approval by the board of directors, shareholders and the commission.
With the promise of capital injection, Cosmos was able to avoid being placed under government receivership. Yesterday was the deadline set by the FSC for Cosmos' recapitalization plan.
Cosmos had been in talks with possible investors during the past few months for recapitalization, with both SAC and GE on its shortlist.
SAC, which operates a US$12 billion hedge fund, has promised to maintain a long-term partnership with Cosmos and may help the bank return to health, Chang said.
SAV will send a team to take over Cosmos, Chang said, adding that members of the team were also responsible for helping Japan's Shinsei Bank Ltd's turnaround.
To make room for new investors, Cosmos chairman Hsui Sheng-fa and vice chairman Hsu Sen-rong (許顯榮) would resign, the commission said.
Cosmos is scheduled to hold a board of directors' meeting next week for a reshuffle.
Cosmos Bank, established in 1992, operates 63 branches across the country.
GE Money has been a strategic investor in Cosmos Bank since June last year. Cosmos has made significant progress in key areas such as strengthening risk management, cash and credit card business units, expanding its wealth management portfolio and improving collections and operational capabilities.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his