China, a traditional source of cheap goods, has become a top exporter of tainted and dangerous products to the US, triggering concerns among consumers and regulators.
Reports of tainted pet foods, dangerous toys, fake drugs, toxin-coated monkfish and cosmetics, drug-laced frozen eel, illicit pesticide-laden mushrooms and other products have led to recalls and bans and potentially more stringent import and food safety laws.
Thousands of cats and dogs died recently after eating food made from wheat gluten spiked with melamine, a chemical used in fertilizers, prompting one of the largest pet food recalls in US history.
PHOTO: AP
Chinese toothpaste has also been blacklisted, following fears it may contain a potentially deadly chemical reportedly found in tubes sold in Australia and elsewhere.
The concerns were compounded by the recall last week by a US company of 1.5 million of the wildly popular "Thomas and Friends" wooden train toys manufactured in China coated with potentially poisonous lead paint.
Chinese-made fireworks for the July 4 US Independence Day celebrations have also made it onto the blacklist, with reports that at least two types have been recalled amid worries they could "travel in unexpected and dangerous directions" and pose "special hazards to eyes and bystanders."
"I think we have reached a point unfortunately where `made in China' is now a warning label in the US," said Democratic Senator Richard Durbin, a top campaigner in the US Congress for tighter food safety laws.
Durbin and Senator Rosa DeLauro held joint talks with US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Commissioner Andrew von Eschenbach and Chinese Ambassador Zhou Wenzhong (周文重), in Washington over the contaminated shipments of food products from China.
They secured a commitment from the Chinese government and the FDA that they would work towards a mutual agreement to improve inspections and overall safety of food products and drugs, said a statement from the two senators.
"This proposed agreement between the FDA and the Chinese government is a significant breakthrough in terms of food safety -- and American consumers stand to be the big winners," Durbin said.
China and the FDA currently do not have a binding agreement on food and drugs, there is no standard safety regulations between the two systems, and there are no mechanisms in place to inspect food production facilities and secure travel visas for investigations, the statement said.
The food safety problem surprisingly took center stage at the high level US-China Economic dialogue last month led by Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson and Chinese Vice Premier Wu Yi (
Following the meeting, China promised to overhaul its food safety rules.
"The top priority for building a food safety standards system is to revise as soon as possible the rules for farm produce and processed food," the director of the General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine, Liu Pingjun (
In another sign of official determination to head off growing concern over shoddy or even deadly food and drug products emanating from Chinese factories, Beijing sentenced the former head of China's food and drug agency to death on a corruption conviction.
China, which exports about US$2 billion each year in food products to the US, is a top violator of US food safety standards, authorities said.
In April, for example, the authorities rejected 257 Chinese food shipments -- far more than from any other country, media reports said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his