On Friday night, Shih Jun-ji (
Shih's resignation, which came only five months after he assumed the position, made him the third head of the financial supervisory body to step down since its establishment in July 2004.
"The turnover is way too frequent for such a crucial position," said Shen Chung-hua (
PHOTO: LO PEI-DER, TAIPEI TIMES
Such frequent shakeups could have a negative impact on the nation' financial policymaking and policy continuity, said Shen, one of the winners of the US Eisenhower Fellowship last year.
This could also lead to an unwanted situation wherein government officials are less willing to bring up policies of vision, as they may be easily blamed for every move they make, Shen added.
The Cabinet approved Shih's resignation after it came under heavy fire over the commission's policy turnaround and carelessness, which some believe may have contributed to the expanding troubles in the financial sector.
On Jan. 4, two member firms of the Rebar Asia Pacific Group (
The situation forced the commission to eat its words and take over the already troubled bank at midnight on Jan. 5, five hours after Shih assured the public there was no takeover plan for the lender.
Shen said Shih's handling of the crisis was flawed, probably due to lack of experience or incorrect information.
Nevertheless, as Rebar's financial problems is a longstanding issue, it will be necessary that officials involved be investigated to find out who failed to take action or who prevented the system from bringing the wrongdoers to justice, he added.
The incident dealt an additional blow to the commission, whose reputation had already been seriously dented by a string of scandals.
Last October, former commission member Lin Chung-cheng (林忠正) was taken into custody on charges of corruption. Lee Chin-cheng (李進誠), former director general of the commission's Examination Bureau, was sentenced to 10 years in jail for corruption in June last year.
Last May, the commission's first chairman, Kong Jaw-sheng (龔照勝), was suspended for jobbery in his previous job and was sentenced to seven years in prison on charges of corruption.
A series of proposed policies that were later shelved -- such as the second-stage financial reform to halve the number of financial holding firms, US-dollar denominated offshore stock exchange, lengthened stock trading sessions and anexit mechanism for stocks of petty prices -- have also put the commission at the center of controversies.
If the commission that oversees the nation's financial sector and capital markets cannot adjust its mindset and modus operandi, similar scandals will surely continue to occur, pundits have warned.
"As an umbrella body that regulates both financial institutions and public traded firms, the commission appears to have lacked the concept and mechanism of conglomerate supervision," said Charles Yeh (葉銀華), professor of Finance at Fu Jen Catholic University.
For instance, Rebar Group controls a conglomerate of companies including The Chinese Bank, Union Insurance Co (
The commission should establish a group profile containing all data on affiliate companies to get a broader picture and thereby make it easier to detect possible misconduct and enact damage control measures in the early stage of a crisis, Yeh said.
Strengthening communication and cooperation among parallel agencies within the commission and with other agencies is necessary, he added.
Yeh proposed a mandatory disclosure by all affiliates, perhaps coming in the form of an organizational chart, to help investors see through companies that have complex cross-holdings or an unusual number of affiliates -- all factors which, as in the Rebar case, can facilitate embezzlement and other offenses.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his