Federal prosecutors scored their first victory in the investigation of Hewlett-Packard Co's ill-fated boardroom spying probe on Friday, when a low-level private investigator pleaded guilty to identity theft and conspiracy charges.
Bryan Wagner, 29, of Littleton, Colorado, pleaded guilty to the two felony counts during his initial appearance in San Jose federal court.
As part of the plea deal, Wagner admitted to illegally obtaining Social Security numbers and other personal information to snoop on the private phone records of journalists, former HP directors and their family members as part of HP's crusade to ferret out the source of boardroom leaks to the media.
Wagner acknowledged using a form of subterfuge known as "pretexting" -- or pretending to be someone else -- to fool telephone companies into coughing up records on former HP directors Tom Perkins and George Keyworth II, and reporters Pui-Wing Tam of the Wall Street Journal and Dawn Kawamoto of CNet's News.com.
Wagner admitted using the personal information to set up online accounts in the targets' names between April 2005 and September last year to access their call logs and billing records.
Wagner's defense lawyer, Stephen Naratil, said his client would testify for the prosecution as it pursues other figures tied to the scandal. He declined to say whom Wagner would testify against or what he had already told prosecutors.
Wagner's sentencing was set for June 20 in a San Jose federal court. There was no sentencing agreement included in the plea deal.
Wagner faces a mandatory minimum prison sentence of two years on the identity theft charge and a maximum of five years for conspiracy, but prosecutors can ask the court for a more lenient sentence if they are satisfied with his level of cooperation.
Naratil described his client as the "little guy" who was tricked by other people higher up in the HP investigation's chain of command into thinking the investigative methods were legal. Wagner never had any contact with anyone inside HP, Naratil said.
In court, Assistant US Attorney Mark Krotoski said Wagner was hired by Matthew DePante of Florida-based Action Research Group to unearth the telephone records and distribute them to other unnamed co-conspirators. DePante paid Wagner an unspecified amount and provided him with the Social Security numbers, Krotoski said.
DePante has not been charged in the federal case.
Wagner, Depante and three others were charged in October in a state court with four felony counts each of conspiracy, fraud and identity theft for their alleged roles in the HP spying scandal.
The others charged were former HP chairwoman Patricia Dunn, who initiated the investigation, former HP ethics chief Kevin Hunsaker, who directed the probe and Ronald DeLia, a longtime HP security contractor who runs a Boston-area detective firm called Security Outsourcing Solutions.
DeLia was allegedly contracted by HP to perform the leak probe work and subsequently contracted the work out to DePante's firm.
HP has declined to comment on Wagner's case because he was not an HP employee.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his