After hitting a bump on the road last year, the local automotive market is expected to recover slightly this year, industry watchers said yesterday.
"The auto market will see an improvement from last year, but the upside will not be huge," said Sam Wu (
Wu said that the negative factors which dragged car sales to the bottom last year would no longer be in effect this year.
For instance, there will only be one Ghost Month, instead of the two we had last year, which affected sales of big-ticket items, he said.
Consumer confidence
The impact of the credit and cash card debts, which plagued the nation last year, would also gradually fade this year, allowing consumer confidence and spending to rise, Wu said.
Figures released by the Ministry of Transportation and Communications yesterday showed that local car sales plunged 29 percent to 366,311 units last year.
Ford Lio Ho Motor Co (福特六和), the nation's fourth-biggest automaker, was the hardest hit, posting a 45 percent decline to 30,212 units during the period.
Sales of Yulon Nissan Motor Co (
The top two makers -- Hotai Motor Co (和泰汽車) and China Motor Corp (中華汽車) -- reported declines of 28 percent and 35 percent, to 107,462 units and 55,894 units, respectively, the data showed.
Soft pick-up
Wu said that the market this year should pick up 6.5 percent and exceed 390,000 units, a figure echoed by other car makers.
Steven Yang (
Smaller rivals Yulon Nissan is aiming for a 15 percent increase in auto sales, while China Motor is targeting a 10 percent rise in vehicle sales.
Given a limited domestic market, automakers are expected to speed up their pace in deployment across the Strait, as well as in exporting cars to overseas markets,Wu said.
Tough competition
"It is a must for automakers to move into China's rapidly growing market. But there are just too many brands and too many new car launches there, which will eat into local makers' profitability," he said.
Ventures of Taiwanese firms in China would only see better profitability after the industry undergoes consolidation, the analyst said.
Meanwhile, China Motor announced on Monday that Chinese authorities had approved the establishment of its second joint venture across the strait, known as DaimlerChrysler Vans (China) Ltd (DCVC).
With a planned investment of 200 million euros (US$260 million), DCVC will focus on supplying Vito/Viano luxury multi-purpose vehicles and Sprinter commercial trucks.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his