Oil prices fell by more than US$1 a barrel on Friday, dipping below US$67 as traders focused on slackening demand and rising supplies.
Crude futures have pulled back more than 15 percent from their all-time high in mid-July to levels not seen since early April. The Atlantic hurricane season so far has been tame and there is growing skepticism that the diplomatic standoff between the West and Iran will prompt OPEC's No. 2 producer to pull supply off the market.
"The sentiment of the market is to sell," said Mike Guido, director of commodity strategy at Societe Generale in New York.
Gasoline demand traditionally slips after Labor Day and it will be a month or more before demand for heating oil and other winter fuels picks up in many parts of the country.
Supply worries eased on Thursday after government data showed rising inventories of gasoline and distillate, which includes heating oil. The possibility that BP PLC could restore 180,000 barrels per day of lost Alaskan production at Prudhoe Bay by the end of next month also eased supply fears. The market also anticipates the resumption of some oil production that was shut in Nigeria following militant attacks.
The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries meets next week, but analysts do not expect the cartel to alter its official output quota of 28 million barrels per day. If the cartel trims production in an attempt to prop up prices, analysts say the strategy could backfire because it would signal to a market that has worried for several years about tight supplies that the world finally has oil to spare.
Light sweet crude for delivery next month on the New York Mercantile Exchange declined by US$1.07 to settle at US$66.25 a barrel -- the lowest closing price since finishing at US$66.23 on April 6.
Brent crude fell US$1.20 to settle at US$65.33 a barrel on London's ICE futures exchange.
Gasoline futures fell by more than US$0.03 to US$1.6098 a gallon. Heating oil fell more than US$0.04 to settle at US$1.8432 a gallon. Natural gas fell more than US$0.04 to settle at US$5.675 per 1,000 cubic feet.
October Brent crude on the ICE Futures Exchange was down US$0.30 at US$66.23 a barrel.
US crude inventories fell 2.2 million barrels last week to 330.6 million barrels, according to the US Department of Energy. However, inventories remain 6.2 percent above year-ago levels and rising productivity by refiners has pushed up supplies of motor- and home-heating fuels.
Gasoline inventories rose by 700,000 barrels to 206.9 million barrels, which is 6.6 percent above year-ago levels. Distillate fuel inventories rose by 3.1 million barrels to 139.9 million barrels -- a bigger build than most analysts expected. They are now slightly above were they were a year ago.
BP officials testified to US lawmakers on Thursday about the company's operational lapses in Alaska -- a big oil spill in March and then the partial shutdown of the country's largest oil field last month. BP is currently pumping 220,000 barrels a day and Steve Marshall, the president of BP Exploration Alaska Inc, said output could be restored to 400,000 barrels per day as early as the end of next month.
Separately, Royal Dutch Shell PLC said on Thursday that it was putting 180,000 barrels of crude per day back on line in Nigeria, according to Dow Jones Newswires. Shell had taken the oil supply off line July 20 following a construction accident that damaged a key pipeline. Nigeria, Africa's largest oil producer, has cut about a fifth of its usual production because of militant attacks.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his