Ezpeer, the nation's second largest peer-to-peer (P2P) operator, announced yesterday that it had reached agreement with major record labels to distribute authorized music, making it the first legal P2P file-sharing operator in the greater China region.
The reconciliation between Ezpeer and copyright holders came as a surprise. The Shilin District Court ruled in June last year that Ezpeer was not guilty of infringing on intellectual property rights (IPR) by providing a for-fee platform for subscribers to swap files.
"When the verdict was announced a year ago, I called it the darkest day for the music industry," said Robin Lee (李瑞斌), secretary-general of the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI) in Taiwan, which filed the lawsuit against Ezpeer.
"But now, I say today signals the dawn of new hope for the industry," Lee said at a press conference yesterday.
Ezpeer's larger rival Kuro, operated by Fashionow Taiwan Inc (
Kuro's top management, including its chairman, chief executive and president, were found guilty of violating IPR by the Taipei District Court in September last year. The trio were sentenced to two to three years in prison and fined NT$3 million (US$91,968) each.
One public relations official at Kuro told the Taipei Times that the firm was delighted to see Ezpeer's new business model, and "hopes to work toward that direction."
Both Lee and Kuro refused to comment on whether the two parties are in talks on a settlement.
Talking about the long-awaited cooperation, Lee said that P2P operators and record companies had differed greatly in defining P2P technology at the start, as P2P operators considered it a neutral tool while record firms deemed the tool a facility to infringe IPR.
However, as P2P operators encountered repeated setbacks internationally over the years, they gradually turned to partnerships with copyright holders.
This helped local operators realize that this was the right way to make their business sustainable, Lee said.
The new Ezpeer -- "Ezpeer+" -- will be opened for testing today and may be launched next month, said Alin Wu (
As KKBOX and Yahoo-Kimo Inc (雅虎奇摩) have entered the legal online music market earlier and saw substantial business, Ezpeer+ hopes to expand on its current subscriber base of 300,000, Wu said, without giving a specific goal.
Ezpeer+ charges P2P users — including members of Ezpeer or other operators — a monthly fee of NT$99 for unlimited swap. Newcomers will have to pay a monthly fee of NT$149 to exchange music files and play on the computer. The company is also working in cooperation with Chunghwa Telecom Co (中華電信), whose Hinet users can log on to the Ezpeer site with their Hinet accounts.
Users who wish to download the files into their digital music players will need to pay NT$249 per month. The downloaded files are in WMA format only, Wu said.
To ensure the quality of the files, record companies will provide Ezpeer+ with their music files, which will be labeled as “golden files” for swapping, Wu said.
When the service is officially launched, there will be 500,000 golden files ready for exchange, he said.
Second-hand files that are circulating among users will be marked “player files,” Wu said.
Profits given to copyright holders — record labels, composers and the Music Copyright Intermediary Society of Chinese Taipei (中華音樂著作權仲介協會) — will be calculated by the number of times a song is played online, Wu said.
He refused to disclose the split percentage, citing confidentiality agreement.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his