The US set up on Friday a new office to combat copyright piracy worldwide and appointed a senior lawyer to marshal China's compliance with trade commitments.
The moves underline Washington's concerns over the rising costs of intellectual property (IP) theft and are part of a multipronged government effort to protect rights through enforcement, international cooperation, legislation and prevention programs, officials said.
"These two initiatives are another step forward to ensure that the United State is active and aggressive in enforcement of our rights under trade agreements," US Trade Representative Susan Schwab told reporters.
Intellectual property issues were previously covered by a unit in her office which also handled services and investment topics.
"Truth be told, we have been very active and engaged in intellectual property rights enforcement issues for many years but the IP office has been buried in a larger office that did services and investment," Schwab said after briefing Congress leaders on the issue.
"We are making this a stand-alone operation," she said, adding that "priority countries, including China and Russia" would garner special attention.
The trade representative's annual report on global intellectual property crime in April listed 48 countries on the government's watch list.
In addition to China and Russia, the report set out significant concerns with respect to Argentina, Belize, Brazil, Egypt, India, Indonesia, Israel, Lebanon, Paraguay, Turkey, Ukraine, and Venezuela.
Roy Blunt, majority whip of the House of Representatives and the legislative pointman for trade agreements, said the administration's moves to step up copyright enforcement underlined a "vigorous effort" to ensure that US trade agreements were fulfilled, especially by China.
"China is specifically a large and important trading partner of the United States and it is critically important for those exact reasons that China also be a responsible partner," he said.
The US suffered US$250 billion in annual losses, and 750,000 lost jobs due to intellectual property theft, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales said on Thursday.
"These staggering figures do not cover the costs of intellectual property theft to our economy and everyone involved in it, from consumers to workers to stockholders," he said.
While the US received some cooperation from Beijing in cracking down on intellectual property theft, "the fact remains that many commercial piracy cases now under investigation by federal law enforcement have a nexus to China," Gonzales said.
The US has previously warned that it was considering bringing a case in the WTO against China for failing to enforce intellectual property laws.
The US Attorney General's office is working with the trade representative to "improve the language" in free trade agreements and other international treaties regarding intellectual property protections, Gonzales said.
Schwab also announced on Friday the appointment of a chief counsel for China trade enforcement following a "top-to-bottom" review of bilateral trade relations.
Claire Reade, a leading international trade litigator for more than two decades, will coordinate the trade representative's efforts to ensure China's compliance with its trade commitments, particularly WTO and bilateral obligations, Schwab said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his