Carlyle Group will pay about US$1.3 billion for the majority stake in Eastern Multimedia Group (東森集團), one of the nation's largest cable-television operators, the Wall Street Journal (WSJ) reported, without saying where it got the information.
Carlyle outbid a mix of financial and industry bidders, including a group that included private-equity rival Newbridge Capital LLC and Liberty Media Corp, the WSJ said on its Web site, without citing anyone.
"Nothing is mature enough to make an announcement now,'' Eastern Multimedia spokesman Johnny Sand said when contacted by telephone yesterday.
He declined to elaborate.
Carlyle's Hong Kong-based spokeswoman Dorothy Lee also declined to comment.
Eastern Multimedia controls almost a quarter of the nation's cable television market. The operator would be the second to be sold in Taiwan in the past four months, as overseas firms bet they can boost profits by introducing new technology and services.
Carlyle is seeking to borrow NT$30 billion (US$927 million) for its bid, three bankers competing to lend the money to the Washington-based buyout fund said last month. The bankers declining to be identified before an official announcement. San Francisco-based Newbridge is teaming up with US content provider Liberty Media Corp on its competing offer, two other people involved in the sale said last month.
Final bidders for the group's Eastern Multimedia Co (
Carlyle wants to buy at least two-thirds of Eastern Multimedia in the first stage of investment, said the bankers. The private equity firm is asking banks to bid to finance the purchase of a 100 percent stake, they said.
The sale comes after Macquarie Media Group, Australia's biggest commercial radio operator, agreed last December to buy Taiwan Broadband Communications (台灣寬頻通訊) from Carlyle for A$1.19 billion (US$890 million), giving it a 12 percent market share.
The US buyout firm bought Taiwan Broadband in 1999 for about US$200 million.
Cable television attracted 4.5 million subscribers in the year to Dec. 31 since being introduced in 1998, according to the Government Information Office (GIO). About 200,000 customers subscribed last year, it said.
Eastern Multimedia had 1.05 million subscribers, or a 23.4 percent market share, as of Dec. 31, followed by China Network Systems Co (中嘉網路) with 21.8 percent and Taiwan Broadband with 13.6 percent, said Huang Ching-yi (黃金益), a GIO official.
Taiwan has set a ceiling of 60 percent for combined direct and indirect holdings by foreign funds in a cable TV operator, Huang said.
Sydney-based Macquarie Media avoided the ceiling in its acquisition by arranging for a local investor to hold preferred stock in Taiwan Broadband.
Eastern Multimedia said March 6 that it was in talks with international and local companies for a possible stake sale. It also owns units that operate news, entertainment and shopping channels.
Carlyle, manager of the largest US buyout fund, has more than US$34.9 billion under management, according to its Web site last month.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his