The Taiwan High-Speed Rail Corp (THSRC,
She said the new financial plan was not a dramatic development. The launch of the troubled project has been delayed for a year until the end of next October, and the government has ordered two public foundations to pour in more money to save the financially troubled corporation.
Asked if the THSRC would need further fresh investment before it launches the service, she did not give a clear answer, adding only that "the financial plan is not yet finalized."
The NT$7.5 billion (US$223 million) that the China Aviation Development Foundation (航發會) and the China Technical Consultants Incorporated Foundation (中技社) were told to invest in the BOT (build, operate, transfer) project became the focus of controversy.
Both the media and opposition lawmakers have criticized the project, while some experts are expressing concern that the project might become a money trap that will end up using enormous amounts of taxpayers' money.
Ing said she knew China Technical was not happy about being "forced" to make the investment to make up for the THSRC's financial shortfall.
When the project started, the stock market was performing well and investors were confident about the nation's economic future, she said.
However, the overall economic situation had changed over the past few years, making it difficult for the THSRC to attract new investment, she said.
Ing said there was no need to move the corporation's next board meeting forward to discuss a reshuffle of board members.
The government has asked that three seats be added to the 12-member board, with two appointed by the government and the other chosen by a consensus between the government and the THSRC. The Ministry of Transportation and Communications has said it hopes the board meeting can be held this month.
However, Ing said that it takes two months to prepare for a board meeting and that since a regular meeting is scheduled for May, there was no need to hold a provisional one.
She said that the percentage of government investment had not reached a level that entitled it to take over the project, and added that the government could only take over the corporation if it were declared bankrupt.
She added that this meant the government would have around six months to locate another management team that could win assurances from the consortium of banks connected to the project.
In her view, she said, the government has neither the capacity nor the willingness to take over the high-speed rail project.
Meanwhile, reported subsidence in Yunlin County will not pose a danger to the high-speed rail, Ing said.
The overuse of groundwater by local farmers and factory managers is causing land to subside at an average of 10cm per year, leading some to worry that the safety of the railway segment in Yunlin will be compromised.
Ing said that the subsidence will not affect the safety of the high-speed trains, though at the current speed, she said, parts of Yunlin are subsiding so rapidly that in 200 years whole areas might simply disappear.
"That is a question much more serious than the safety of high-speed trains," she said.
She said engineers and workers had taken into account the subsidence when they laid the foundations for the railway, and that there was no risk involved.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his