Oil prices plunged Friday on signs of slowing demand and expectations that OPEC will raise its output quotas tomorrow to appease oil-importing nations struggling with expensive crude.
In New York, a barrel of light sweet crude for delivery in October plummeted US$1.75 to close at US$63.00. In London, a barrel of Brent North Sea crude dropped US$1.85 dollars to US$61.81 dollars.
Expectations of lower demand growth have seen oil prices fall sharply from record highs of US$70.85 in New York and US$68.89 in London on August 30, a day after Hurricane Katrina slammed into the southern US.
PHOTO: AP
"There's a bit of concern that demand has been destroyed as a result of the high prices. That was reflected in the OPEC report [Thursday] that revised down demand growth," Refco analyst Marshall Steeves said.
"I think that OPEC will increase quotas next week. But I think in reality their production is almost near maximum capacity. Only the Saudis can increase production if they want to," he added.
At their meeting in Vienna tomorrow, oil ministers with the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries are expected to increase their output quotas as the US and Europe groan under the impact of a sky-high energy bill.
Analysts predicted the talks will raise the 11-nation group's output ceiling by 500,000 barrels to 28.5 million barrels per day, its highest level since 1987.
On Thursday, Prince Sultan bin Abdul Aziz of Saudi Arabia pledged his help in combatting the spiralling oil price, which has raised fears of an economic shock for rich countries and angered drivers who are feeling the pinch at the gasoline pump.
But experts predict the OPEC move will not resolve the real problem of lack of global refining capacity, which as Katrina showed is near to breaking point.
Simon Wardell of Global Insight said a decision after Katrina by US and European authorities to release extra crude had helped illustrate the lack of appetite for unrefined oil.
Of the 30 million barrels of crude made available from the US Strategic Petroleum Reserve, orders from oil companies only came to 11 million, he recalled.
"There were 19 million barrels that no one wanted."
Sucden analyst Sam Tilley said "traders switched focus from a fall in crude inventories to a general surplus of oil and signs of falling demand."
OPEC said Thursday in its monthly report that oil demand this year would likely rise by an annual 1.7 percent to 83.5 million barrels per day.
This was down from the oil cartel's previous prediction last month of a 1.9 percent gain. The oil cartel also cut its forecast for next year, saying it now expected demand to increase by 1.8 percent.
The International Energy Agency in the last week also lowered its demand projections, for the third time in a row, forecasting growth for this year at 1.6 percent instead of two percent.
Both organizations spoke of slower consumption in China as well as in the US because of high gasoline prices and Katrina's devastation.
But the market remains anxious about supplies, particularly since refineries are struggling to turn crude into heating fuel in time for the northern hemisphere winter.
"Considerations over demand and growth are so long-term that they don't change things dramatically from one day to the other," said Christopher Bellew, an analyst with Bache Financial.
"I think everybody agrees that it is likely that we're going to see lower oil prices, and the question is now when," he said.
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he