Oil prices climbed by more than US$1 a barrel on Friday, one day after China's decision to abandon its currency peg to the US dollar, making oil prices cheaper for China, the world's second-largest consumer of crude.
The renewed terror attacks on London's public transit system led to some nervousness on the markets. But Thursday's attacks were much less serious than the initial assault two weeks ago and analysts said their effects had dissipated by Friday. A new incident on Friday, with police killing a suspect on a London subway train, also did not brake prices.
Light, sweet crude for September delivery rose US$1.52 to settle at US$58.65 per barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange as bargain hunters stepped in. The contract had dropped US$0.89 on Thursday to close at US$57.13 after the explosions in London raised travel concerns.
In other Nymex trading, heating oil futures rose US$0.013 to US$1.5819 a gallon while gasoline rose US$0.016 to US$1.697 a gallon. On London's International Petroleum Exchange, September Brent crude futures climbed US$1.86 to settle at US$57.58 a barrel.
China's abandoning the currency peg was "a slight net positive" for country's short-term oil demand, since imported crude will be cheaper in yuan terms, Barclays Capital said.
"If we are right, then the flow of diesel and gasoline exports out of China could slow down and crude oil imports pick up," said Kevin Norrish, director of commodity research.
But some analysts suggested that Beijing's currency moves will eventually lead to less domestic oil consumption -- and falling prices.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his