In the latest case of domestic electronics companies making a shift into own-brand business, Gigabyte Communications Co Ltd (集嘉通訊), a mobile phone affiliate of computer motherboard maker Gigabyte Technology Co (技嘉), yesterday announced that it has entered the nation's crowded handset market.
Gigabyte Technology's move came two years after its bigger rival Asustek Computer Inc (
Gigabyte Communications, established last June, said it plans to launch its first mobile phone under the Gigabyte brand in the July-September period. The handset will be targeted at the high-end segment, which accounts for about one-fifth of the nation's NT$42 billion (US$1.35) market.
The company is also seeking opportunities to make phones for international brands outside the Asian market, Jesse Lee (李忠義), a vice president of Gigabyte Communications, said in a phone interview.
"In the initial phase, we are targeting high-end models, because of the high margin and lower competition," Lee said.
He said his company will not throw a large number of models into the market as some vendors are doing in order to grab a larger market share, but plans to introduce at least four models locally.
Gigabyte Communications will not roll out handsets cable of offering third-generation (3G) services in the short term, he said.
Local wireless service providers, led by state-owned Chunghwa Telecom Co (
Gigabyte Communications plans to expand its staff to around 200 from 80. Half of the company's employees work in the research and development department.
"It is not a bad idea to tap into the high-end segment, but it will still be a real challenge for a new entrant like Gigabyte Communications to muscle into the market, which is approaching saturation," said Marty Kung (
As the rate of growth in the market is weakening, it would be easier for Gigabyte Communications to take on local vendors for a share of Taiwan's mobile phone market, Kung said.
Three major local vendors, BenQ Corp (
He predicted that handset sales will only inch up around 3 percent this year to 6.7 million units, from 6.5 million last year.
But the prospect for local companies is even gloomier after Taiwan's cellphone carriers start offering 3G services in the second half of the year, as most local players have lagged behind their global competitors in developing handsets capable of offering the new services, he said.
"Without a near-term plan to launch 3G handsets, the company could face a rough start in building a position in Taiwan's mobile phone market," Kung said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his