Financial authorities' plans to delist "penny stocks" from local bourses have put substantial pressure on small cap stocks, causing up to 100 such stocks to hit limit-down in mid-session on the Taiwan Stock Exchange yesterday.
In an attempt to pacify investors' panic caused by the proposed delisting mechanism, the Financial Supervisory Commission yesterday said it has no specific plan yet for carrying out the delistings.
"Whether or not to include trading prices and transaction volume as elements of the delisting mechanism is currently under discussion," the commission said in a statement yesterday.
Jerry Huang (
He stressed that no change will be made before holding public hearings with the securities-related sector, Huang said.
The government's proposed move to delist illiquid stocks or listed companies whose stocks consistently trade below their par value of NT$10 have led to investors dumping shares of small cap firms such as construction companies Kuoyang Enterprises (
Kuoyang closed down 6.63 percent at NT$8.45 while Kindom traded 6.67 percent lower at NT$8.4 on the Taiwan Stock Exchange.
In general, shares of low-price stocks and other firms suspected of weak, less-than-transparent financial reporting were down 5 percent to 7 percent, especially in construction, second-tier printed circuit board (PCB) and networking makers, Cecilia Liu, an analyst at the SinoPac Securities Corp (
Integrated circuit packaging and testing firms were also hit. Vate Technology Corp (
Huang dismissed market speculation that the commission would suspend the proposed plan altogether in the wake of investors' panic.
"The concrete measures of the proposal will be put forth in the mid or late November as scheduled previously," Huang said. "But it is not ideal to use only trading prices or volume to evaluatea a stock, as they can both be easily manipulated," he added.
On the local bourse, 328 out of 1,135 listed companies saw their stocks under face value at NT$10 per share, according to statistics compiled by HSBC Asset Management Taiwan Limited (
As many as 90 stocks, including those of 29 electronics companies and 61 traditional industry firms, have seen losses in earnings per share for three years in a row, according to the asset management company.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort