Volkswagen AG, Europe's largest carmaker, won't expand car production in China beyond the current 900,000-unit capacity as sales growth slows and the country's market is "so difficult"' to predict, said chief executive Bernd Pischetsrieder in an anal-ysts's conference call.
Volkswagen also reiterated its profit forecast for the full year, with chief financial officer Hans-Dieter Poetsch saying the Wolfsburg, Germany-based carmaker would "stick to the commitments" given at half-year results last month.
The carmaker last month lowered its operating profit forecast for this year by a quarter to 1.9 billion euros (US$2.34 billion) excluding one-time items because of rebates on cars, higher oil prices and spending on reorganization.
Volkswagen expects its full-year profits in China, its major foreign market, to fall owing to currency factors, Poetsch said.
"But we are confident of impressive figures in 2004 and 2005," he added.
Volkswagen said last year that it will invest 6 billion euros, or 60 billion yuan, to double manufacturing capacity in China to 1.6 million vehicles a year and in June said it would open three more factories under the pro-gram. Since then, the carmaker has lowered prices as demand has slowed in response to government's efforts to limit lending.
"We have no intention of freezing capacity at 900,000 units but we have no intention of having excess capacity either," Pischetsrieder said.
Volkswagen will decide next year whether to increase production beyond the current level, he said.
The carmaker expects to sell between 700,000 and 800,000 units in China this year, up from 697,000 last year.
This is lower than a prediction in June made by Bernd Leissner, chairman of Volkswagen's China operation, who said at that time that Volkswagen's sales should rise in line with an 18 percent to 20 percent rise in the market. That would set sales at 822,000 to 836,000 units.
Volkswagen's profit from its China ventures will fall this year from last year's 561 million euros.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort