Thousands of Brazilians took to the streets Friday in cities across the country, protesting high unemployment and interest rates despite recent signs that South America's biggest economy is turning around after its worst recession in a decade.
Several thousand people marched kilometers down Avenida Paulista in Sao Paulo, the Wall Street of Brazil's financial and industrial heart, in the biggest show of force by union members, unemployed workers and landless peasants.
Demonstrators trying to pressure President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva to keep his promises of job creation and redistribution of wealth also protested in Rio de Janeiro, the capital of Brasilia and other major cities in Latin America's largest nation.
"It's tough to live in a country that's so big and rich in resources without hope," said Cesar Manuel Silva, a 65-year-old laborer who hasn't had regular work in five years. "We need big changes because we're all sons of God, but we don't have enough money for bread."
Friday's protests came as the government reported industrial job growth in May for the first time in more than a year. That came on top of recent reports showing strong increases in industrial output and first-quarter economic growth of 2.7 percent.
But protesters said the pace of the recovery is too slow. Most said they still support Silva, a former metalworker's union leader who became Brazil's first elected leftist leader.
But they are disappointed his administration opted for a conservative fiscal policy aimed at reigning in inflation and prompting slow, sustainable growth for the first time in the country's history.
"I voted for him, but I was expecting a quicker recovery," said Creusa Pereira Goncalves, a 44-year-old unemployed auto worker who brought her 12-year-old son to the protest to carry a flag demanding more jobs. "It's better to have jobs with high inflation than no jobs."
Brazil's economy shrank 0.2 percent and unemployment shot up to over 13 percent after Silva took office last year and his administration imposed a series of interest hikes to control inflation.
The economy is expected to grow between 3 percent and 4 percent this year, but unemployment still stands at 12 percent and is nearly 20 percent in Sao Paulo, the country's largest city.
After raising the benchmark Selic interest rate to a whopping 26 percent last year, Brazil's central bank has lowered it to 16 percent this year. But rates for business and consumer loans are much higher, which stifles growth.
Unions that organized Friday's protests are threatening to stage a general strike to paralyze the country if the Selic rate isn't lowered significantly over the summer, said Luiz Claudio Marcolino, president of a union representing 106,000 bank workers in Sao Paulo.
"Interest rates of seven or eight percent would be reasonable for Brazil," he said. "That sort of reduction would prompt the economy to grow. How can it when you have to pay 100 percent interest to buy a refrigerator?"
In Brasilia, protestors marched to the Finance Ministry and burned an American flag emblazoned with the initials of the International Monetary Fund.
Under the guidance of Finance Minister Antonio Palocci, Brazil in November signed an extension of its US$34 billion IMF loan. American and IMF officials have praised Palocci and Silva's administration for sticking to a loan requirement for Brazil to post an annual budget surplus before interest payments of 4.25 percent of GDP through 2007.
Critics of the IMF accord say the budget surplus requirement is onerous and is preventing growth. In practice, meeting the target involves cutting federal spending by the equivalent of more than US$20 billion this year, money that could be spent on health, education and public works.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his