The Royal Dutch/Shell Group's former chairman, Sir Philip Watts, received a severance package worth £1.06 million (US$1.93 million), the amount he would have earned had he stayed on until retirement, the company said on Friday.
Watts was asked to step down in March, after an internal investigation found that the company had overstated its oil and gas reserves estimates for several years.
He was the head of exploration and production, the division in charge of reserves, from 1997 to 2000, when much of the overbooking occurred.
Watts, who turned 59 on Friday, had been scheduled to retire in June next year.
Shell said Friday that Watts received the payment, rather than three months of salary, a more standard severance agreement in Britain, because he resigned from his post by mutual agreement with Shell's board rather than being forced out.
The severance package is in addition to a pension of £584,000 (US$1.06 million) a year.
Last year, he was awarded 1.165 million stock options, worth £582,500 if they were exercised at Friday's closing price, and a salary of £843,000 (US$1.5 million).
Some investor groups said the severance payment was a clear sign that shareholder rights were still too weak.
"We think that shareholders need the power to specifically approve or reject these termination packages," said David Somerlinck, corporate governance policy manager at Pensions Investment Research Consultants, a London firm that represents institutional shareholders.
Last year, the British government weighed legislation that would give investors the power to vote down rich severance packages, but the bill was not approved.
Shell should have awarded Watts three months of pay, the minimum allowed under his contract, Somerlinck said.
Shell is facing several class-action lawsuits and investigations related to its reserves estimates that could cut into earnings this year or next.
Regulators, including the Securities and Exchange Commission and the US Department of Justice in particular, may impose hefty fines, analysts say.
The company first cut its proven reserve estimates by 20 percent in January, then trimmed them three more times.
Tomorrow, Shell's directors and managers will face shareholders for the first time at two separate annual general meetings in London and Amsterdam.
Attendance is expected to be high, and small shareholders in particular are likely to use the forum to criticize Shell's corporate governance.
In response to an investor outcry after the reserve estimates were cut in January, Shell has agreed to rethink its unique dual-board structure.
Investors are anxious to be part of any revamping of the company.
Some investor groups have already put forward specific proposals about the issue that may be addressed at Monday's meetings.
The California Public Employees' Retirement System, or Calpers, and Knight Vinke Asset Management will ask Shell to include two outside investor representatives in their review process.
"We're not looking for confrontation for confrontation's sake," said Lucy Butler, a spokeswoman for the Association of British Insurers.
The group would just like to make sure that Shell is communicating with shareholders about any changes, she added.
Shell also said on Friday that the expiration date for 2,847,000 stock options Watts has outstanding had been moved up. The last of the options now expire in March 2009, rather than March 2013.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his