Political factors that have kept affecting the local bourse in the past months have come to an end following President Chen Shui-bian's (陳水扁) inauguration yesterday, analysts said yesterday.
In light of sound fundamentals of the nation's industries, the outlook for the stock market remains rosy in the long run, they said.
With the absence of expected celebratory bulls, TAIEX dropped slightly by 45.25 points, or 0.77 percent, to close at 5,815.33 yesterday. Turnover was NT$109.3 billion.
The benchmark index plunged by over 400 points, or 3.18 percent, on the inauguration day four years ago.
"President Chen's speech didn't surprise most investors. It neither offered any bullish incentives to the stock market yesterday," said Wu Peiwei (吳佩偉), a portfolio manager who helps oversee a NT$600-million fund for ABN-AMRO Asset Management Taiwan Ltd.
The selling pressure thus came from investors who reaped profits from a rebound of 302 points on TAIEX on Wednesday, Wu added.
Other investors echoed, saying that the local bourse should be able to leave the non-economic influences behind and did not think the ballot recount could do harms to the stock market.
"Political factors have come to an end following President Chen's inauguration yesterday," said Calvin Chen (陳程坤), a manager at Yuanta Core Pacific Capital Management (元大京華投顧).
But the local bourse may still be weak along with international stock markets in the near future, ailed by influences such as an expected rise in interest rates, skyrocketing oil prices and the unrest in Iraq, Chen said.
Selloffs by foreign investors may not ease until the time and scale of a rise in interest rates in the US becomes clear next month, he added.
Foreign investors, who dumped a net of NT$4.4 billion worth of shares yesterday, have got rid of a net of NT$125.05 billion of Taiwanese shares since April 27, according to Taiwan Stock Exchange statistics.
George Wu (
The positive stance that the incoming economic affairs minister holds on the opening up of local companies' investment in China would help improve foreign investors view of the local bourse, he said.
"We are confident about the stock market's prospects, which has hit bottom at around 5,400 points," Wu added.
The TAIEX closed at 5,482.96 points on Monday after hitting as low as 5,450.72 in the mid-session, following a harsh statement from Beijing about President Chen.
For investment targets in the next half of this year, both Wu and Calvin Chen recommended electronics shares and China-related shares for the second half of this year and suggested investors avoid raw materials shares.
Financial shares could be a good investment, in light of benefits expected from a rise in interest rates, if the amendment to financial restructuring fund regulations is passed, Calvin Chen added.
However, ABN-AMRO's Wu was not as bullish, saying that economic performances in the Asian region may be weakening following China's clampdown measures.
Foreign investors' benefits from capital gains and exchange rates in the region could be shrinking accordingly and, thus, may not be as keen on Asian markets as before, he said.
The bourse could be influenced be such factors and its outlook dampened as a result, Wu added.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his