Trade ministers and ambassadors from 20 countries met here on Friday but made no formal announcement whether global trade negotiations that broke down last September would resume in time to meet the Jan. 1, 2005, deadline for their completion.
Both the WTO and UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan are pushing to resume the talks, which are supposed to reform the world's trading system by reducing farm subsidies in the developed world that prevent farmers in developing countries from selling their goods on Western markets.
"More than anything else, we need a poor-friendly deal on agriculture," Annan told a gathering of the World Economic Forum. "No single issue more gravely imperils the multilateral trading system, from which you benefit so much," he told business leaders.
"Agricultural subsidies skew market forces. They destroy the environment. And they block poor-country exports from world markets, keeping them from earning revenues that would dwarf any conceivable level of aid and investment flows to those countries," he said.
The trade talks, known as the Doha round and held under the auspices of the WTO, broke down in Cancun, Mexico, last September. There has been no word yet when they may resume.
At Friday's talks here on the fringes of the World Economic Forum "everybody was on board for trying to get things restarted," said a trade official who attended the gathering.
Both Robert Zoellick, the US chief trade envoy, and Pascal Lamy, the EU's top trade official, have sent letters to the WTO since the breakdown of the negotiations offering proposals to restart them. But neither of those negotiators attended Friday's talks.
The trade official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said different countries from the 146-member WTO had favored different ways of restarting the negotiations. The differences inspired President Joseph Deiss of Switzerland, who was the host for the discussions, to say he did not believe the talks would be completed by the end of the year.
The official, moreover, said that if negotiators could not agree on the broad framework of the agreement by the middle of this year "then we are not going to meet the deadline."
At a news conference, Supachai Panitchpakdi, the director-general of the WTO, said he believed that the organization had to act quickly.
"I don't believe we can take even a few more days," he told a press conference. "We should move and work and set the time as tightly as possible."
He said that he believed that it was possible to "fix it this year."
"We have the time," he said. "It's up to the political will."
Some trade negotiators said they believed that Friday's meeting had improved chances of restarting the negotiations.
"I think it helps," said Alec Erwin, South Africa's trade and industry minister.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his