Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi said the country's domestic economy has recovered following three recessions in the past 12 years.
This is the first time he has made such an assessment since taking office in 2001.
"An improvement in company earnings, rising capital expenditures and other measures are showing that the Japanese economy has recovered," Koizumi said, according to the text of an embargoed speech.
The speech was set to be delivered at the opening session of the Diet, Japan's parliament.
The Cabinet Office said last week nominal economic growth will reach at least 2 percent as early as the fiscal year starting April 2006. The government forecasts real growth, or economic activity adjusted for price changes, of 2 percent this fiscal year and 1.8 percent in the year starting April 1, which would mark a third straight year of expansion.
Koizumi, who retained office for his Liberal Democratic Party-led coalition in November, must face voters again at this July's Upper House election.
While the Japanese economy recorded growth for the sixth straight quarter through the third quarter of last year, it still has not snapped more than five years of deflation and lower unemployment from near-record levels.
"Through cooperation with the Bank of Japan we aim to beat deflation and stimulate the economy," Koizumi said, according to a copy of the speech.
Koizumi said last week his government will need another year to end deflation.
He predicted that prices in Japan will start to rise consistently in the year starting April next year.
The yen's 10 percent rise against the US dollar over the past six months is raising doubts about the sustainability of Japan's newest attempt at recovery.
The recovery has relied on an increase in exports to countries such as China and the US.
A rise in the yen against the dollar reduces the value of exporters' profits when repatriated into Japanese currency, which contributes to deflation.
The Japanese currency traded at ?106.55 to the dollar as of 1pm in Tokyo.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort