Singapore's transport and media sectors are likely to return to one-player industries following comments by government leaders that competition has hurt corporate balance sheets, analysts said.
The lack of success in liberalizing the two sectors has come under the spotlight since officials indicated the island's population of 4 million people lacked the critical mass to support more than one player in each.
In the media sector, the new print and broadcast entrants have yet to record a profit since monopolies ended three years ago and hopes of a turnaround in the near term are remote.
"Both are losing money and both are haemorrhaging and they are trying very hard to stop the haemmorrhage," Senior Minister Lee Kuan Yew, the city-state's founding father and first prime minister, said this month.
"But I don't think it's possible. I think both are going to keep losing."
The two players in the media industry are Singapore Press Holdings (SPH), traditionally a publishing firm, and broadcast entity MediaCorp.
Their inability to record profits has been compounded by economic woes that have plagued the city-state over the past three years.
SPH's MediaWorks broadcast unit racked up losses of S$40.2 million (US$23.24 million) in the financial year to August and MediaCorp Press, which runs the Today newspaper, chalked up a S$10-million deficit in the year to March.
Political analyst Seah Chiang Nee said the remarks by Lee, who remains a highly influential figure in the government, could signal a change was imminent.
"If history is any indication, Lee's message will almost certainly lead to some action to lighten or eliminate the contest -- either a closure of loss-makers or a merger of some products," he said on his Web site, www.littlespeck.com.
However both SPH and MediaCorp responded to Lee's comments by reiterating they are committed to their new commercial ventures.
Information and Communications Minister Lee Boon Yang also said in a speech to the Singapore Press Club this month that the government still favored competition in the sector but admitted the prospects were not good.
"Wherever we can, we will try to promote and encourage competition, but we are also realistic and if competition does not work ... we have to accept that the market itself is just too small to accept more than one significant player," he said.
"If our market proves too small for this degree of competition, the players will have to reassess their business strategies and ambitions."
Speculation of a change in the transport sector also heightened this week after bus service provider SBS Transit blamed a 92-percent plunge in third quarter profits on problems with its new operation, the North-East subway line, which opened five months ago.
It said revenues from the loss-making subway line were not sufficient to cover operating expenses, and also referred to "weak market conditions and keen competition."
Transport Minister Yeo Cheow Tong said last month that the government would not block moves by SBS and the other subway operator, SMRT Corp, to merge their businesses in order to avoid duplications.
"We realize now that operating a rail system involves a lot of overheads," Yeo said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his