A consumer advocate group yesterday vowed to investigate unprincipled businessmen that are taking advantage of a mask shortage to hike prices.
"We will soon start to investigate any illegal price hikes of SARS-related products and hope the government will take measures to counter unscrupulous businesspeople," Cheng Jen-hung (程仁宏), secretary general of Consumers' Foundation, Taiwan (中華民國消費者文教基金會), said yesterday.
According to Cheng, the most popular 3M N95 mask has retailed for as high as NT$350, while the suggested retail price is under NT$85. Other authorized makers of N95 masks were found to be charging around NT$190 for each mask.
Anything over NT$102 is considered unreasonably priced, Cheng said.
The outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) in late March triggered panic buying of masks. As a result, many prospective customers walked out of stores empty handed.
"I have visited all of the pharmacies in my neighborhood, but can't find a single N95 mask," said Taipei housewife Stacy Liu (劉明惠) yesterday, who was buying masks for her two elementary-school kids.
The N95 masks became popular after the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommended them for use by those who have contact with SARS patients.
According to 3M Taiwan Ltd, the primary manufacturer of N95 masks, there is a global shortage of the devices after the outbreak of SARS. The majority of 3M masks are going to the nation's hospitals, thus exacerbating the shortage on the streets.
Shih Po-wen (
"All of my N95 masks and my thermometers were sold out a week ago and I don't know when my shipment of these products will come," Shih said.
"There has to be hoarding going on, as at first masks weren't available and then ? after the price went up -- they were," said an official with Pro Healthcare International Co Ltd (
One online retailer of masks, TomNet Life Shopping Net (明日世界生活購物網), said it has to pay higher wholesale prices or risk losing stock to competitors from Hong Kong, China and Canada who are also looking to snap them up.
Vice Chariman Chen Chi-yuan (陳紀元) of the Fair Trade Commission said the agency has been working with major mask suppliers to stabilize prices, but that controlling tens of thousands of retailers around the country is difficult.
Chen also acknowledged there is a serious shortage of N95 masks, but said consumers need to take part of the blame for the problem, because many panicky consumers have hoarded masks as well.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort