American International Group Inc, the world's largest insurer, isn't taking chances with the global respiratory disease that has killed at least 79 people.
Travel will be limited and the company told its 80,000 employees to avoid handles, doorknobs or railings in "high-risk areas." Goldman Sachs Group Inc Chairman Henry Paulson postponed a trip to Hong Kong and mainland China this week and the firm, the No. 3 investment bank by capital, now requires workers to seek "divisional or departmental approval" to travel to Asia, spokesman Peter Rose said.
Fearing the spread of severe acute respiratory syndrome, companies are taking steps to safeguard their workers from the unexplained virus that infected more than 2,270 people. They are recommending staff wear protective masks in Asia, urging them to stay away from the office when they return from the region and stepping up office cleaning and health warnings.
"If you must travel to high-risk areas, try to avoid crowded areas," American International wrote in a memo to employees Friday. "Avoid touching handles, doorknobs and railings, and always wash your hands before touching your face."
HSBC Holdings Plc, Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc and Standard Chartered Plc have banned nonessential travel and told workers to use video conferencing. Microsoft Corp is letting Asian employees work from home. Singapore-based Flextronics International Ltd has hired medical staff to monitor employees.
"There's just a lot of reasons why it's not a good idea to travel right now," said Ted Cullen, who oversees travel for Nike Inc.
Corporate travel began to flag in early 2001 as the US economy slowed and companies tightened spending -- and then plunged further after the Sept. 11 attacks.
Oil companies including Unocal, BP Plc, Kerr-McGee Corp and Apache Corp with operations in Asia had already clamped down on travel because of the war. They've distributed health advisories to their employees worldwide.
"We had already sharply restricted travel because of the war, so we didn't impose any further restriction," said Debbie Schram, a spokeswoman for Kerr-McGee, a US oil explorer operating in China's Bohai Bay.
After fighting started in Iraq, Novartis AG, Europe's third-biggest drugmaker, sent out a memo telling workers they needn't travel if they didn't feel comfortable.
"People learned after nine-eleven how to get the job done without getting on a plane," said Paul Tomaszeski, the executive director of administration at the US division of Novartis.
Mike DeNoma, Standard Chartered's head of consumer banking, and Kai Nargolwala, head of wholesale banking, canceled their plans to travel from Singapore to the bank's board meeting in Chennai, India, tomorrow and Tuesday because of the restrictions, spokeswoman Caoimhe Buckley said.
"We have urged staff to avoid unnecessary contact if they can use video conferencing and teleconferencing instead," Buckley said. Travel is restricted for Hong Kong, China, Singapore and Vietnam, Buckley said.
New Balance Athletic Shoe Inc spokeswoman Katherine Shepard said the shoemaker has banned all international travel both because of the war and SARS.
Societe Generale, France's third-biggest bank, recommends that corporate and investment bank employees returning from business trips to China work from home, rather than returning to the office, spokeswoman Stephanie Carson-Parker said.
London-based HSBC canceled training courses in Hong Kong, where the world's third-largest bank was first established in 1865. It set up a management committee to monitor and react to the illness that includes Andrew Long, head of operations and process, and David Hall, group head of public affairs in Asia.
Deutsche Bank AG's office in New York Wednesday sent a memo to staff telling employees returning from China and Hong Kong "not to come to any Deutsche Bank office for 10 days following their return."
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he