The world's top information-technology companies have snubbed Hong Kong's new Cyberport high-tech park after signing letters of intent to move into the multi-million-dollar complex, a news reports said yesterday.
Fifteen companies, including Hewlett-Packard Co, IBM Corp, Microsoft Corp and Yahoo, initially signed letters of intent and were expected by Wednesday to move into the high-tech business park on the west of Hong Kong island.
But when the first phase of the development opened Wednesday, only three tenants moved in, and one of them was developer Pacific Century Cyberworks (PCCW, 電訊盈科), the Hong Kong iMail reported.
None of the multinational companies that signed letters of intent moved in and a spokesman for Microsoft Hong Kong told the South China Morning Post the Cyberport was now only one of a number of alternative sites being considered by the company.
Observers said multinational companies have adopted a wait-and-see approach following the economic downturn and the dotcom bubble burst before taking up offices at Cyberport.
The Cyberport project has been shrouded in controversy since PCCW, headed by Richard Li (
Initial enthusiasm for the project, designed to turn Hong Kong into Asia's high-tech hub, waned after many tech companies crashed and rents at the Cyberport have been significantly dropped to try to attract tenants.
Only PCCW, a unit of US company General Electric and Finnish state telecom company Sonnera moved in as the first phase of the project opened on Wednesday.
Hong Kong's Information Technology Secretary Carrie Yau told reporters the letters of intent signed by the 15 big companies remained valid but said they would move in according to their individual business plans.
Cyberport is scheduled to be opened in three phases with 335,275m2 of high-tech office space, a 82,300m2 commercial center and a hotel and service center. It is due for completion sometime next year.
After the Cyberport is open, Li will be allowed to build nearly 3,000 luxury apartments on the site in the Pokfulam district of Hong Kong, an aspect of the development that attracted particularly fierce criticism from developers denied the chance to bid.
The 15 companies to sign letters of intent for Cyberport are Microsoft, Cisco Systems Inc, CMGI, H-P, Hikari Tsushin, Hua Wei, IBM, Legend Holdings Ltd, Oracle Corp, Portal, Silicon Graphics, Softbank, Sybank, Yahoo and Pacific Convergence Corp, a subsidiary of PCCW.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his