The installation of DPP members as chairmen of Taiwan Sugar Corp (Taisugar, 台糖) and Taiwan Salt Industrial Corp (Taisalt, 台鹽) this week may have deeply upset company management, a former chairman of a state-run industry warned yesterday.
"All managerial professionals will be greatly upset since they now realize that they may easily be replaced simply because of their political stance," KMT Legislator Wang Chung-yu (
He said the government has set a bad example by putting its own men in the posts instead of market professionals.
Wang, a former chairman of China Steel Corp (中鋼), with over 20 years experience in the steel industry, made the comments in response to the government's appointments of DPP Secretary-General Wu Nai-jen (吳乃仁) and former lawmaker Cheng Pao-ching (鄭寶清), respectively, as chairmen of Taisugar and Taisalt.
The appointments rattled employee and shareholder nerves.
The companies may suffer further if media reports that the two appointments are part of the DPP's plan to pave the way for victory in year-end mayoral elections, as well as the 2004 presidential election, prove to be true.
Wang said he agreed with the reports' speculation, saying that the "resources of the two state-run companies could be used to aid [the DPP's] political agendas."
David Hong (洪德生), the vice president of the Taiwan Institute of Economic Research, said the fate of the two firms may lie in Wu and Cheng's ability to formulate company policies and oversee company development.
"If they can learn the ropes of the industry soon, their inexperience and lack of industrial background should not pose a difficulty," Hong said.
Either way, both of the new bosses will have their work cut out for them with post-WTO competition, privatization, company transformation and business diversification on the table.
Hong, who also doubles as a member of Taisalt's supervisory board, criticized the appointments for what he said was the hasty and thoughtless manner in which they were carried out.
"[What the government] should have done is look for possible candidates for those positions, instead of filling those positions with its own men," Hong said.
But Hong praised Wu, saying he may be a good choice since he had shown good judgment when he ran a cable television company.
But Cheng's lack of industrial background has raised concerns.
Taisalt's president Wang Chih-hang (王志漢) yesterday said that the new chairman has promised to respect professional opinions and to steer away from political interference in the company's management.
"I've communicated with all employees that professionalism, not [politics], should be the company's main concern," Wang said.
Wang added that the company's short-term goals are privatization and the marketing of three new investment projects in technology and biotechnology-related products, which he said Cheng has vowed to continue.
Entrepreneur-turned-politician Huang Chung-yung (黃宗源), a TSU legislator, said that "industrial expertise and experience should be the top criteria for chairmanship choices."
He gave his endorsement to the government's overnight decision to name Yu Kuang-hwa (余光華), Tai-salt's outgoing chairman, as head of the Taiwan Fertilizer Co (台肥), saying Yu's 12-year success record can now be extended to another profit-seeking state-run company.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his