The Mainland Affairs Council (陸委會) yesterday warned Kinmen officials not to follow the example of their colleagues on Matsu and sign agreements on cross-strait ties with Chinese authorities without central government approval.
Chen Ming-tung (
"Local officials don't make policy, we do. They just carry it out," Chen said.
Authorities on Taiwan's outlying islands are permitted to communicate independently with their counterparts across the Strait, but they must seek central government approval before inking any official agreement pertaining to implementation of the small three links plan, Chen said.
Chen's warning came one day after the council clarified that an agreement signed on Sunday by Matsu lawmaker Tsao Erh-chung (
The council's warning effectively deflated any hopes local officials may have had about striking out on their own to facilitate the smooth implementation of ties.
Local officials have been frustrated by the slow pace of the development of ties and reluctance of the Chinese to embrace the opening of the trade, transport and communications links between Kinmen and Matsu and ports along the Chinese coast on Jan. 1.
According to Liu Li-chun (
"Now that the small three links plan is in place, we must take action to work out the handling of the general day-to-day implementation of the policy," Liu said.
"The agreement focuses on general affairs such as fishing, tourism, cultural exchanges and trade which is permitted under the guidelines for implementation of the links plan ... there was no talk of sensitive policy or political issues," he added.
However, Chen said the council is currently investigating whether any of the Lian Chiang County officials present at the signing ceremony in China overstepped their authority and would consider disciplinary action if necessary.
Chen stressed that official negotiations and agreements with Chinese officials regarding the links plan must be done by the central government and until any such agreements are reached, the local authorities must first receive approval.
"Communication is necessary at some point to the success of the small links plan," Chen said. "But local authorities must wait until the central government has reached some kind of agreement with the Chinese before they can consider making their own."
According to Chen, Kinmen County magistrate Chen Shui-tsai (
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his